A Brief History
Once upon a time
Hillmount was founded by the late Hill Mercer in 1940. The Mercer family come from Hillhall, on the outskirts of Lisburn, where they had a small farm and grew vegetables and flowers.
The small holding at Gilnahirk which was to become Hillmount was purchased with funding from the grocery shop in Lomond Avenue, run by Lily – Hill’s wife.
Hillmount started as a market garden and the first glass house was erected in 1942. Subsequently further glass houses were erected by Hill and his son John.
Trevor, Hill’s younger son, came into the business in 1962 and developed the outside contract maintenance work and exhibition decoration as well as the nursery.
Robin, Trevor’s son, along with his wife Edith, joined the business the year before Hill’s death in 1973.
In 1976 the first retail unit was built, measuring only 30′ x 40′, and was the start of the continued expansion which you see today. Alan, Trevor’s grandson, has joined us to be the 4th generation of Mercer’s to carry on the Hillmount Business.
In Memory Of Trevor Mercer
Church Service to Celebrate the Life of Trevor Mercer in MP3 Format
4th August 1030 – 21st December 2012